- August 24, 2022
Heavy in the truest sense of the word
Microsoft has released many major software products in 47 years, but there was one release in history that weighed much more than all the others.
Today we use software that doesn’t have mass, but that wasn’t always the case. It’s worth remembering the days of software that came on floppy disks or CDs, along with printed documentation. Some of this documentation took up thousands of pages and was very heavy.
The official Windows documentation team at Microsoft decided to ask Microsoft archivist Amy Stevenson, “What was the biggest piece of software we ever shipped?”
First place went to the Microsoft C/C++ compiler with Windows SDK, which was released in 1992 and weighed over 18 pounds. It included Microsoft C/C++ 7.0 in a box over 60 cm long and allowed the developer to create applications for MS-DOS, Windows and OS/2. As Stevenson notes, “we never did that again,” and the next product released was Visual C++.
It’s not #AskAnArchivist day yet but we asked our Microsoft Archivist, Amy Stevenson, a few #OneDevQuestions anyway.@Microsoft has shipped some software products that were big hits but we asked Amy: ???? What was the largest piece of software we ever shipped? pic.twitter.com/I6ll7QxUZg
– Windows Dev Docs (@WindowsDocs) August 19, 2022
Today, Microsoft offers Visual Studio in Community, Professional and Enterprise versions for modern software development for a range of different desktop and mobile platforms. All documentation is available online, and no one wonders how much paper it will take.
All the news today
- The U.S. destroyer Preble has been fitted with a 60 kW Helios laser cannon. It can shoot down drones and blind aircraft optical systems. The laser cannon was installed instead of the traditional one
- 17:00 36 This was to be expected: a neural network that creates nude photos of 18+ women has been launched. Servers are overloaded.
- The Register: U.S. Oracle collected data from five billion users and earns 42 billion dollars a year by selling them. Each user’s dossier contains everything from address to political views
- : Heavy in the literal sense of the word.
- 8 Pakistan imposes an absurd tax on video cards: the more memory, the more you pay. At the same time the original video card tax of 36% is not canceled.
- The domestic alternative to Google Play does not stand still: RuStore has reviews and ratings of applications. RuStore already has more than 1100 mobile applications
- The interior of Omoda C5 crossover was unveiled in Russia for the first time. Numerous images have been published
- Super AMOLED and “super camera”. Redmi Note 11 SE goes beyond China. But the platform, not at all the same as the Chinese Redmi Note 11 SE
- New crossovers appeared in Yandex Drive: the Haval Jolion, Chery Tiggo 7 Pro and Geely Atlas Pro. Also in Moscow became available Geely Coolray in Luxury and Comfort options
- After almost six months of downtime, the Lada plant in Izhevsk is returning to work. It will return to a five-day work week from August 29, 2022
- Rostec has unveiled a new generation of helicopter blades that increase speed and takeoff weight. The new development will increase the maximum takeoff weight of the machine by 200 kg
- 72-core processor with 68 PCIe 5.0 lines. Nvidia revealed details about the Grace CPU. There’s also a dual Grace CPU Superchip
- 12 And yet GeForce RTX 4090. The new graphics card, according to the documents, is already in production. The start of sales so far is expected in October
- 8 VTB warned that scammers offer to install an app removed from the App Store on the iPhone. But the bank has nothing to do with it
- Tasty – and that’s it. In Korea they have created a meat substitute made of insect larvae. The bodies of flour crustacean larvae were used
- There is an acute shortage of IT specialists in Russia. The demand is constantly growing. The situation affects more than 230 Rostec organizations in 47 regions
- 1 Canadian scientists created a system for landing drones on uneven surfaces. During tests, the drone successfully landed on a roof with a 60-degree angle
- “Russian Wikipedia” has fallen under an influx of visitors. The site could go live “today or tomorrow.” Attendance turned out to be too high after the massive announcement of the launch of “RuUniverse”.
- A refrigeration center was built for Russian fifth-generation fighters Su-57. It is needed to apply a radio absorption coating on the Su-57
- “Don’t delete it, you can’t download it again,” Sber commented on the removal of the SBOL app from the App Store. Users received the newsletter
- “This is a real victory for the entire team of AvtoVAZ and our partners,” the price of the Lada Granta Classic’ 22 with airbags was named. From 602,800 rubles with discount
- 54 This is what the Iranian substitute for the Lada Vesta looks like for Russia. The Iran Khodro Tara sedan, based on the Peugeot 301, was shown in Moscow. The car has an automatic gearbox, airbags, ABS and ESP.
- The engineer has built a “gun” for throwing knives with a laser sight and lidar. It’s wearable.
- Phenomenal performance. The fastest Android smartphone is equipped with the Dimensity 9000+. It set an absolute performance record on AnTuTu
- The iPhone 15 will indeed be a new model: Apple’s first smartphone with a USB-C connector has already been launched. Goodbye, Lightning
- 11:19 25 A Moscow-based company has launched mass production of a unit for industrial 3D printing. It can be used in mechanical engineering, aerospace, automotive and railway industries
- 09:58 34 Fans of compact flagships: the 6-inch Sony Xperia 5 IV will be the first smartphone in the lineup with wireless charging support. It will be smaller than the Xiaomi Mi 12S
- 09:52 8 An analyst thinks MacBook Pro with 3-nanometer processors and 14- and 16-inch screens won’t come out this year. Previously, insiders claimed the opposite
- 09:46 18 Huawei Mate 50 became a bestseller even before the announcement: for a few hours the new flagship managed to order hundreds of thousands of people. The smartphone will be presented on September 6
- 09:37 30 What Chinese car owners often complain about – the main drawbacks of these cars in 2022 were named. They complain about ergonomics, metal and unpreparedness for Russian conditions
- 09:21 3 Redmi K50 Extreme Edition has become the best-selling smartphone with 512GB of flash memory on the Jingdong site. It’s priced at $535
- 09:11 4 Seven people, seven suitcases, seven screens and a range of 1000 km. The BYD Denza D9 luxury minivan is available in hybrid and electric versions. Pre-orders have already started in China
- 09:00 12 Why Russians are increasingly using private car imports from China. What cars are brought from the Celestial Empire. Electric cars are in great demand when ordered from China.
- 08:50 12 China’s Hainan will abandon cars with gasoline and diesel engines. It will happen in 2030
- 08:44 8 The top flagship smartphone Sony Xperia 1 IV has fallen sharply in price in China. It went on sale only in June
- 08:29 18 Apple has miscalculated: fewer users are ready to switch to iPhone 14 than in previous years. There are at least two reasons for this
- 08:15 18 The Huawei Mate 50 Pro variable aperture camera has been shown live for the first time. It will be announced on September 6
- 08:05 22 This iPhone has not been printed for over 15 years. Original unopened iPhone sold at auction
- 07:56 13 The U.S. Army is forced to tackle new technology to combat drones. They are already working on hunter drones as well as laser and microwave guns
- 07:45 ” Unprogressive design makes the Samsung Galaxy Watch 5 look like a child’s watch in front of the Xiaomi Watch S1 Pro” – the novelties were shown in a general photo. Xiaomi Watch S1 Pro went on sale last week
- 07:22 1070 hp and acceleration from 0 to 100 km/h in just 5 s. The electric equivalent of the Hummer from the Celestial Empire has already gone into production . It is being tested on public roads
- 07:11 3 Chery Tiggo 8 2023 will get adaptive cruise control, automatic braking system and a new gearbox. There will also be a multimedia system with Lion 4.0 operating system and 8 Sony speakers
- 07:04 17 Exclusive Chinese car brands will appear in Russia. They will be presented by Avtodom Group of Companies
- 06:57 1 Because of the Russian Hyundai plant, production of the Hyundai Asept sedan and Creta crossover in Kazakhstan has been stopped. Buyers are suggested to stay in line and wait for resumption of production
- 06:49 22 It won’t shut up: an app has been created that notifies Google of every data transfer. The application appeared to be very noisy
- 06:42 14 There were problems with acceptance of Visa and Mastercard extended cards in online stores in Russia. Extended cards of Western payment systems don’t work
- 06:31 14 ” They are literally poisoning us,” – the flights of private planes are proposed to ban in France. Ministry of Transport said that a ban on private jets is out of the question
- 06:25 7 Bermuda made it easier to return Russian planes to their present owners. From 730 to 770 airliners are registered in Bermuda
- 00:53 37 iPhone 13s imported to Russia through parallel imports have fallen in price by 30% in a month. In August alone, the cost of the iPhone 13 Pro Max dropped by 20 thousand rubles. Several factors contributed to the decline in the cost of the iPhone in Russia
- 00:27 15 When Redmi and Poco are not enough – Xiaomi may introduce another brand of inexpensive smartphones: with a low price, pure Android and mid-level processors. And with a guarantee to release security updates for four years
- 00:05 21 NASA has set a major event for September 26. On that day, the DART probe will collide with an asteroid, and it will be the first test of Earth’s protection from potentially dangerous space objects. The test asteroid is Didim – Dimorph