You can use the tilde key or context menu to cross out text in Discord.
- You can cross out text in Discord by using the tilde key available on physical and digital keyboards.
- By placing two tildes on either side of your text in Discord, you can cross out that text.
- You can bold, underline, and italicize text using other punctuation marks or the context menu.
If you’re new to the platform, Discord can seem a bit overwhelming. This is especially true if you’ve just joined a chat with many members, where the conversation is moving a mile a minute.
One of the basic features of Discord you’ll want to master is text markdown — this is the practice of formatting your text using punctuation marks.
Here’s a basic primer on how to use markup to cross out text in Discord, as well as format it in other ways.
How to cross out text in Discord
You can cross out text in Discord using markdown or the context menu.
To cross out text, you’ll need to do a strikethrough.
On Discord, this can be done by using the tilde key (~) on your keyboard. On standard physical keyboards, this key will be in the top-left. On a mobile device, you’ll have to go into your keyboard’s punctuation menus.
To strikethrough your text, put two tildes before and after your message. For example, “~~[your text goes here]~~” will become “[your text goes here],” struck through.
Press Shift and then the Tilde key.
Logitech; Kyle Wilson/Insider
Quick tip: On an iPhone or Android, the tilde key is located on the second punctuation screen, though its exact position may vary.
The tilde key on both an iPhone and Android keyboard.
Using the context menu
Alternatively, if you’re using the desktop or browser version of Discord, you can use a context menu. To do this:
1. Type out the text that you want to format.
2. Highlight the text and hover your mouse over it until a small black bar appears above it.
3. You can click the crossed out S to strikethrough.
Other style markdowns in Discord
You can also underline, bold, or italicize your text.
There are other forms of markdown that you can use to format text in Discord:
- Bold requires two asterisks on both sides: **bold**
- Italics requires either one asterisk or one underscore on both sides: *italics* or _italics_
- Underline requires two underscores on both sides: __underline__
Read the original article on Business Insider