- April 20, 2022
Batteries made using the new method have at least 10% higher capacity
About a year ago, Samsung SDI began producing 5th generation batteries for electric cars, using a new method instead of the usual jelly roll. This allows battery components to be packaged more densely, resulting in higher capacity for the same volume. Now, The Elec reports that the company is preparing to use the method for smartphone batteries as well.
Batteries made using the new method have at least 10 percent higher capacity than traditional roll-to-roll designs. This means that a 5000 mAh battery, such as the one in the Galaxy S22 Ultra, could instead have a capacity of 5500+ mAh. In addition, phones can be made thinner and lighter while still maintaining battery capacity.
Flat coiled batteries cannot be packed tightly, as the natural bloat that occurs when charging and discharging the battery can bend the electrodes, damaging them in the process. The multi-layer design solves this problem and allows the dead space inside the battery to be filled.
The new batteries will reportedly be manufactured at a plant in Cheonan, Korea. The company is also expected to retool one of the lines at its Tianjin plant in China to use the new method.
All news today
- Smartphones and other electronics in Russia will run out until summer. Stocks of iPhones and Macs will last until June
- Samsung uses the new technology of car batteries in its smartphones: Batteries made using the new method have at least 10% higher capacity
- Netflix is hamstrung by its exit from Russia. The company lost about $40 billion in market value. Netflix lost subscribers for the first time in 10 years
- New Subaru Outback unveiled. The updated Subaru Outback has the latest version of the EyeSight safety system package
- Prices for Chinese cars have gone up the most: JAC S7 has become more expensive by 80% at once. The best-selling Chinese car this year – Haval Jolion – has gone up in price by 55.1%, Geely Tugella – by 46.3%, Chery Tiggo 7 Pro – by 43.7%.
- The new BMW X7 has been presented. Sales of the car should start this fall
- Toshiba stopped taking orders and investments in Russia. Russia was bringing in 0.2% of revenue to the company
- Forget about the cheap Chinese cars. They remained in the 2000s. The National Automobile Union believes they will become quite a mass phenomenon in Russia
- SAP, the largest software developer, is leaving Russia completely. SAP cooperated with large companies including Russian Railways, Rosatom, Lukoil
- General Motors was the first automaker to leave Russia for good. March 11 “luxury cars” from the U.S. got under a ban for imports to Russia
- Is Ilon Musk lying or just badly mistaken? Statistics show that Tesla owners actively use a complete charging cable. Musk says they rarely use it